This recipe is originally from Maya Nahra, RD. For more recipes like this, please visit her website.
This Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole is the perfect addition to the holiday spread!
Real Food Sweet Potato Casserole, No Refined Flour And Sugar
For the base
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes or yams or squash
- 1/3 cup unfiltered apple juice, or freshly pressed apple juice
- 1/4 cup or less dark maple syrup
- 1 T real vanilla extract
- 2 t Cinnamon
- 1 t nutmeg
- 1/2 t Unrefined sea salt
For the crumb topping
- 1 cup gluten free oats
- 1 cup raw walnuts and/or pecans
- 1/8 t Unrefined sea salt
- 1/4 cup Coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 t Cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 T real vanilla extract
- Wash sweet potatoes and pierce sweet potatoes with a knife and place in a baking dish in the oven at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Remove sweet potatoes and allow to cool slightly while you prepare the crumb crust.
- In a food processor or blender, combing the oats and nuts until a finer ‘meal’ consistency is achieved.
- Add the oat and nut meal to a bowl and combine with remaining ingredients. Stir to combine. (Taste to ensure your liking 😉 Note that the raw product will be sweeter than the cooked product.) Set aside.
- Remove the sweet potato skin and add the flesh to a food processor. Process until a puree consistency is reached.
- Add the remaining ingredients and combine again.
- Please the sweet potato puree into a a backing dish and add the crumb crust to the top. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Let cool slightly and enjoy!