I am currently OBSESSED with summer salads and this salad dressing! I have been having 1-2 salads a day this summer with this dressing because I love it so much. It’s fun to create different salads everyday too. My “standard” salad base is lettuce, (lately I am loving organic red lead lettuce, but it may be butter leaf, or green leaf, or romaine, etc…), cucumber, tomato, and some kind of either baby greens or sprouts. Right now I am loving organic baby arugula and broccoli sprouts. Then I will add leftover veggies from the night before sometimes, or whatever looks good and fresh when I go to the grocery store. You could also add some berries as well. The idea is to vary the plant foods you eat so you get all of the colors of the rainbow in your diet, which provides vital phytonutrients and antioxidants that help your body naturally heal and prevent disease. One of the very first things I have my functional medicine patients focus on when making nutrition changes, this is a great way to accomplish that.
Here are some reasons why the ingredients matter and what they help treat or prevent:
- EVOO: Is a powerful polyphenol and antioxidant. Helps treat High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, Type 2 Diabetes, Cancer, Osteoporosis, Obesity, Alzheimer’s dementia
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Improves Digestion, Blood Sugar Balance, Healthy Aging, Supports Weight Loss, Allergies, Candida Balance, Liver Detoxification, Cancer
- Mustard: Rich in Phytonutrients. Helps with Skin Conditions such as dermatitis, Cardiovascular Disease, Cancer, Diabetes, Cholesterol, Bronchitis.
- Lemon: Improves Digestion, Liver Detoxification, Weight Loss, High Blood Pressure, Skin Health.
- Garlic: Improves Cholesterol and Blood Pressure, Fights Cancer, Treats Infections, Hair Loss, Dementia, Diabetes, Clears Skin.
- Honey: Seasonal Allergies, Immune System Support, Wound Healing, Boosts Energy